What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

101 degrees for the past 2 days!

jglass

Good grief it has been 101 the past two days.
I am cooked lol. High humidity and these temps make my medusa hair go nuts. Someone asked me today if my hair was naturally curly and I asked her if she thought Id make a mess like that on purpose? :eek:
Everyday we plan to stay in out of the heat and something happens and were out in it for hours.
Mother nature seems to have waited for the last offical few weeks of summer to really crank the heat here.
Supposed to cool off next week. Cant happen soon enough for me.

Did I tell you guys that Jon and I went with his Dad, uncle and aunts to have a picnic at the house they grew up in. It was a few days ago. I took my camera and video camera along so I could video it for them and get some nice pics. It was so cute listening to them telling stories about the mischief they got into as kids. They would go into a room and I heard thats where you blacked my face with soot and shoved me in the closet or thats where you shoved me off my bike lol.
Some of them had not been inside the house since they were ten years old or so and now they are in their 70's. Their Dad and Papa built the house many years ago. My video camera uses the little mini digital tapes but I hook that video camera into my duel deck vcr and then I was able to make them all copies of their day onto VHS tapes. I have a video camera that used the mini dvds but that thing is complicated as heck. Im on the last video tape now then Ill have all five done. I called Jons Dad and told him I would leave the tapes at his house tomorrow. I noticed when I was going back over it that a couple of his aunts were crying when they were in their Moms old kitchen.
I tried to get shots of everything but Im not a good camera man.

Last edited:
I feel for you - I am not a heat person - but its terribly warm here and the humidity is unreal - top it off with hot flashes - OMG - I am going to die.

Right now you can fry an egg on any part of my body is less than 2 seconds!

Cold showers do not help - you can see steam coming off my body in the shower.

Send me to the North Pole - in 30 minutes it will be tropical from my body!

I honestly believe that global warming is caused by us boomer gals going thru menopause!

God help the world!

Oh God I cant imagine hot flashes on top of this.
I feel for you!
Jon teases me when ever I complain about the heat. He always asks if Im sure its not hot flashes since Im going to be 39 soon. Thoughtful of him considering he is going to be 45 in Nov.

I felt for the women working at Quizno's here in town. I stopped there for a sandwich today and they had no AC.
Said they had not had any since the place opened a few months ago. It was a scorcher in there. The place had big glass windows on two sides that were making the heat even worse. First time we had gone there since they opened. The woman baking bread looked like she was about to pass out.

Last edited:
LOL....Mama I can soooo identify with you ! Those flashes hit and Bam ! Feels like your in the Hot blazing dessert !
The humidity here has been awful ! I have long straight hair to my waist but today I have worn it up all day !

I can imagine that lovely hair can be a bit warm in this weather.
Went to take out the dog to go potty and he takes two steps outside and turns and goes back in the house lol.

Ya "whiners" look at all them folks who live in Dallas/Ft. Worth and 106 degree weather all summer long, why I bet they'd call ya' all WIMPS!:D

Sista Cathy....I take it you never had one of those skin frying flashes ! Wimp my *&^....lol.....I always loved summer best up until those aggravating flashes hit !

Dang, janie... I am NOT a fan of heat- especially heat accompanied by humidity!

I was 30 before I knew that 85 could feel nice. Being raised in the mid-west, I just thought all places were sticky & steamy. Great climate for corn & 'mater-growin', though!

It wasn't until I traveled to Portland, Seattle and Alaska where there is little to no humidity and constant ocean breezes when I learned that the whole world isn't hot and sticky in the summer-time like my beloved mid-west. I know there are places that are far worse, like the deep south- but the heartland is typically pretty extreme... from May thru Sept. it's often 90++ and 80-100% humidity- just stifling and sticky. Normally by late July we've seen 100 degrees- and the dawg days of August are just dibilitatingly yuchy! Many elderly and unhealthy die in mid-western cities each summer due to the heat...

That said, I do have to say that THIS summer has atypically been SO strangely MILD... We've for some odd reason not seen 100 degrees even once- and only a few days in the 90's! August was SO nice and mild... and yesterday? Shoulda been 95 degrees- but it was 77 and breezy. I like! (Someone should alert Al Gore! Ha!)

Alaska? Oh my gosh... summers there are HEAVEN! 65-80 degrees and ZERO humidity... Light rain every single morning, and sun until well after midnight. It's no wonder they grow 50lb. cabbages there- and wildflowers abound as far as they eye can see... even along icy stream-beds...

Last edited:
Mama and Francie: Y'all need to find some herbal practitioners. I don't mean some New Ager playing with herbs (Lord, those folks scare me), but a genuine herbalist.

Friend Wife suffered through only about three days of problems. Then I started treating her. Poof! No more flushes. No more night sweats. No more mood swings.

Meanwhile, there are a couple of books you might want to read.

Menopause Without Medicine. I forget the author's name, but it's the seminal work on treating menopause without HRTs.

The Herbal Menopause Book, by Amanda McQuade Crawford. One of several (I consider it the best) introductions to herbal treatment of all menopausal symptoms.

Yeah, summer is definately back. But you don't need a thermometer to tell.

This morning, out of the blue, some newscaster reported, with a straight face mind you, that the severity of this fall's hurricanes is a result of global warming.

Uh, huh. And how come I didn't hear one word about global warming the first three weeks of August?

I tell you true, those people make my teeth ache.

Global warming? Yeah- I tell ya Brook... without getting political about it- well... wait. I can't do it without getting political about it- so forget it! Ha!

Brook.....I have tried everything....with no success.....my oldest brother is big into natural herbs and gives me all kind of advice. Came from having a Grandmother who was Fullblooded Cherokee.

But I will look those books up......thanks for the tip.

That said, I do have to say that THIS summer has atypically been SO strangely MILD... We've for some odd reason not seen 100 degrees even once- and only a few days in the 90's! August was SO nice and mild... and yesterday? Shoulda been 95 degrees- but it was 77 and breezy. I like! (Someone should alert Al Gore! Ha!)
It was your welcome back to the lower 50 gift (one mild summer!) don't exspect this every year!

thax for the info KYH -

I'm tellin' ya - i am tired of being a hot chick!

right now it could be 60 below zero with 18 foot snow fall and I would go naked out there and cause floods and devastation!

RE: "right now it could be 60 below zero with 18 foot snow fall and I would go naked out there and cause floods and devastation!"

mama! give your nudist neighbor a jingle- I'm sure he'd be willing to play tennis or go jogging w/ ya au natural! Hee-Hee!

(reminds me of a Carol Burnett joke... once as "Eunice" she said that she had to give up doing house work in the buff 'cause she reached a point where she was getting dangerously close to getting her nips caught in the wringer-washer! HAAAA!!!!!)

>my oldest brother is big into natural herbs and<

There's one of those New Ager words that scare the bejesus out of me, Francie.....natural.

It's "naural" they say, so it has to be good for you. Uh, huh! Well there ain't anything much more "natural" then heroin, You looking to try it?

Cow flops are the most "natural" thing you can find. But I, for one, ain't particularly anxious to put some on a plate and serve it for dinner.

The fact is, just as with allopathic drugs, herbs can, and often do, have contraindications. Anecdotal evidence (the Cherokee did such & such) is all well and good; but it's ever so much better when backed up by science and understanding.

Here's an example, from the other extreme. I make a product I call "basic balm." It's good for all sorts of things, but is particularly useful for dermal treatments. It's the only body lotion Friend Wife uses, for instance, and most people swear her skin can't be more than 35 years old. I won't tell you how old that body is, but it's considerably more than 35.

It would make a great nipple cream for nursing mothers. Except it contains comfrey, which I would not recommend used internally with infants. Knowing this, and knowing the intended end use, I would mix up a special batch for a nursing mother without the contraindicated comfrey.

Understand, too, that responsible herbalists do not see themselves in competition with other medical practitioners. We see it as a partnership, whose goal is overall wellness.

Example: All anti-cholesterol drugs are hepitoxic. That means they attack the liver. This doesn't mean that as an herbalist I attack such drugs and recommend against them. It means I take steps to counteract the negative side effects. In this case, when Lipator was prescribed for Friend Wife I immediatly started her on milk thistle therapy.

>right now it could be 60 below zero with 18 foot snow fall and I would go naked out there and cause floods and devastation!<

I'd pay ten dollars to see that! :D:D

Back