What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maryland Crab Cakes Recipe

O

oldbay

This time of year we like to make crab cakes. It's like religion around here. The crabs around the Chesapeake Bay are getting meaty now and so August and September are the best months for local crab meat. Here's how we make our crab cakes.

1. Remove the crust from 2 slices of bread and break into small pieces.
2. Combine with 1 pound of fresh (cooked) crab meat that has been picked over and had any remaining shell or cartilage removed (i.e the commercial crab pickers pick fast).
3. Combine in a bowl 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 tbsp dehydrated chopped parsley, 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce, 1 tbsp mayonnaise.
4. Gently fold the seasoning mix into the crab meat. Form into 5 or 6 patties. Some of the local restaurants might make 8 crab cakes out of a pound and serve two to a meal.

To cook, either fry in a non-stick skillet in 2 tbsp canola oil or cook as I do in the broiler for 5 minutes to the side. The crab meat is already cooked so were trying to get the crab cake to setup and turn a golden brown.

Serve with tarter sauce on a hamburger roll or not. Typically served with freshly steamed corn on the cob.

Ironically, considering that it's a Baltimore company, the "official" crabcake recipe, as published by the Maryland Office of Seafood Marketing, contains no Old Bay seasoning. Go figure!

Folks who are new to crabcakes should know that it works better if you chill the formed cakes before frying.

A really great way to serve them is to top a fried green tomato slice with a crabcake, then lather on remoulade sauce. A little bit of heaven on a plate.

Well, there are other spices for crab meat made in Baltimore including JO Spice and Baltimore Spice so the state is probably being careful not to promote any one company. I have a friend that works at McCormick (McCormick now makes Old Bay Seasoning) who prefers JO Spices no-salt crab seasoning. And Old Bay came out with a lower salt version last spring.

Personally, I like Old Bay (can you guess!) and don't think it's salty. I've bought crab seasoning in bags at the local wharf that were just loaded with salt. Now those work fine with steaming crabs but you can't then convert their use to other recipes because they are 1/3 to 1/2 salt.

Lots of places around here have Old Bay out on the table to serve with whatever you want including the Subway Sandwich shops so it's quite a widely used seasoning 'round here and is my personal preference with crabs and crabcakes. On the boardwalk in Ocean City, it's the secret to the Boardwalk Fries.

I'm with you on that. I love Old Bay, and use it on losts of things.

Celery salt is listed as the first ingredient on the Old Bay can. And it's the only salt ingredient. So I don't understand when people say it's too salty. As you point out, most seafood seasonings are considerably more heavy on the salt.

Ah, well. Let them skip the Old Bay, my friend. More for you and me.

Everything in moderation ... Old Bay is said to have started in the bars of Baltimore and used as a way to get the early industrial era guys to eat more crabs (which were supposedly offered for free) and drink more beer. The amount of sodium in any recipe using Old Bay depends on how much seasoning you add. A 1/4 or 1/2 tsp of Old Bay is pretty low on salt.

My grandfather was from the eastern shore in Maryland. There was no way we could make crab cakes or steam crabs without Old Bay. I tried Phillips one time and I'll never do that again. It had more salt then spice and it just didn't seem a Maryland tradition.

DCMerkle

KYHeirloomer, I am wondering if folks are confusing the

salt added to the Old Bay before putting it in the steaming crabs as being a part of the Old Bay Seasoning?? I have never purchased Old Bay that had too much salt in it. I have been buying and using it since I came to MD in 1968. I add a lot of salt to the Old Bay and all the folks I know who steam crabs, including seafood restaurants, do as well :) I cannot imagine crabs being steamed without it. I use Old Bay in crab cakes and many other dishes unrelated to seafood and do not find it too salty for that either.

Crabcakes

Makes 10.

1 pound lump crabmeat
2 cups Panko Japanese bread crumbs
1/2 cup finely diced Spanish onions
2/3 cup finely diced red, green and yellow bell peppers
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup pasteurized eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Scant teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Scant teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
2 - 3 T. fresh cilantro, finely chopped

In one large clean bowl combine mayonnaise, eggs, lemon juice, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning, salt, pepper, onions and peppers and cilantro. Mix thoroughly.
Add bread crumbs and fold in completely. Gently fold in the lump crab keeping the pieces as large as possible.
Using a large tablespoon or ice cream scoop portion the crab cake mixture into 3 inches in diameter by 3/4 inch high cakes.
Lightly dust each cake with flour and drop in a hot (365 degrees F) fryer or skillet. Cook thoroughly or until each side is golden brown.

Makes 10 crab cakes.

Mama, have you actually used this recipe? Reason I ask is that's an awful lot of breading for a pound of crabmeat. Good crabcakes typically contain from 1/2 to 1 cup of breadcrumbs per pound of crab; the less the better. You want just enough filler to bind everything together and no more.

I'd also question the yeild. Recipes using one pound of crabmeat typical yeild 4-6 crabcakes. So, unless we're talking appetiser size, ten is really pushing the envelope---even with that incredible amount of filler.

It's all a matter of taste - ditto with size.

If a recipe tells me tomake 1-inch meatballs - do you think I do????

Variations On A Theme

MARYLAND LADY CRAB CAKES

1 lb crabmeat
1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1 large egg
About ¼ cup mayonnaise
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp Worcestershire
1 tsp dry mustard

Remove all cartilage from crabmeat.

In a bowl mix breadcrumbs, egg, mayonnaise and seasonings. Add crabmeat and mix gently but thoroughly. If mixture is too dry, add a little more mayonnaise. Shape into 6 cakes.

Cook cakes in fry pan, in just enough fat to prevent sticking, until browned, about 5 minutes on each side.

Note: If desired, crab cakes may be deep fried at 350F 2-3 minutes, or until browned.

Makes 6 crab cakes.

From the Maryland Seafood Cookbook, published by the Maryland Office of Seafood Marketing.

HELEN STOVALL’S CRAB CAKES

3 cups crab meat
2 eggs
2 tbls mayonnaise
1 tbls flour
Black pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
Salt
½ cup fine bread crumbs
1 egg

Don’t break crabmeat too fine; sift in the flour. Beat eggs, mayonnaise, seasonings into the crabmeat. Mold the mixture very gently into cakes. Beast the extra egg. Dip the cakes into this; then coat lightly with bread crumbs. Fry until the color of toast. Sprinkle gently with frizzled parsley.

From Helen Stovall of Carteret County, North Carolina

THE CLASSIC CRAB CAKE

1 egg
2 heaping tbls mayonnaise
1 heaping tsp prepared yellow mustard
1 tbls cream
Salt & pepper to taste
1 slice bread, toasted and crumbled
1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 lb fresh crabmeat

Mix together all ingredients except crab. Stir in the crab and form into 4 patties.

Fry in cooking oil until golden, about 5 minutes on each side.

Yield: 4 servings

From the book, From A Lighthouse Window: Recipes and Recollections from the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. Side notes on this recipe say: Every Bay cook has a “best” crab cake recipe. They don’t come any better than this.

This is followed by the following recipe, with the sidenote: A purist’s delight, with no “sawdust” to diminish the splendor of pure crabmeat:

THE ULTIMATE CRABCAKE

1 lb lump crabmeat
1 egg, beaten
Crab seasoning to taste

Mix the ingredients together, seasoning to taste. Form mixture into two 8-ounce crab cakes.

Place crab cakes on a preheated, oiled frying pan. Cook over medium heat on both sides until browned, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Serve hot.

WINNIE’S CRAB CAKES

1 lb crabmeat
2 eggs
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
12-3/4 cup bread crumbs

Mix ingredients together and form into cakes. Fry in no-stick pan until golden brown on each side.

Recipe provided by a lady who’s full name I never got. We were crabbing together off a pier on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. She pointed out that this same mixture could be used to fill cleaned crab shells and baked at 350F for about 20 minutes.

CRAB POTATO CAKES

1 lb crabmeat
1 cup mashed potatoes
1 egg, beaten
½ tsp salt
Dash pepper
Dash onion salt

Remove any shell or cartilage from crabmeat. Combine all ingredients. Shape into 12 cakes. Place cakes in a heavy frying pan which contains about 1/8 inch of fat, hot but not smoking. Fry at moderate heat. When cakes are brown on one side, turn carefully, and brown on the other side. Cooking time is approximately 5-8 minutes. Drain on absorbent paper. Serves 6

Traditional recipe from Beaufort, North Carolina

RED’S CRAB CAKES

1 lb cooked crab meat
2 eggs, beaten
½ lb onions, chopped
½ cup cornmeal
½ cup flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
¼ cup vegetable oil or shortening

In a large mixing bowl combine crab, eggs, and onions. In a separate bowl combine cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper. Add just enough of the cornmeal mixture to hold crab meat together when patties are formed. Panfry patties in hot oil, browning each side.

From “Red” Otis Radford, Carolina Beach, North Carolina

CRAB CAKES WITH MUSTARD SAUCE THE CASTINE INN

1 cup onion, finely chopped
2 tbls vegetable oil
1/3 cup parsley, minced
5 large eggs, beaten lightly
2 tbls finely ground toasted hazelnuts
3 tbls milk
2 cups Saltines, crushed
2 lb lump crab meat

for the sauce:

2/3 cup dry vermouth
3 tbls red wine vinegar
2 shallots, minced
3 black peppercorns
1 ½ cups fish stock or clam juice
2 cups heavy cream
White pepper to taste
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
2/3 cup sour cream

½ stick unsalted butter, melted

In a small skillet cook the onion in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring occasional, until it just turns golden. In a large bowl combine the onion, parsley, eggs, hazelnuts and milk and stir in 1 cup of the Saltine crumbs and the crabmeat.

Make the mustard sauce: In a saucepan combine the vermouth, vinegar, shallots and peppercorns. Bring the mixture to a boil and boil until liquid is almost evaporated. Add the stock and boil until reduced by half. Add the cream and boil until reduced by one third, and add white pepper and salt to taste. Remove pan from the heat and whisk in the mustard and sour cream. Strain the sauce through a fine sieve into a bowl and keep it warm, covered.

Form the crab mixture into cakes, using 1/3 cup for each cake, and transfer them as they are formed to a shallow bowl holding the reserved cup of Saltine crumbs. Coat the cakes well and transfer to a baking sheet. Bake them in the middle of a preheated 450F oven for 8 minutes. Brush the tops of the crab cakes with the melted butter and broil the crab cakes under a preheated broiler, about 4 inches from the heat, for 2-3 minutes, or until they are just golden.

Serve the crab cakes with the mustard sauce.

From a magazine article sent by a friend. Neither the magazine nor the location of The Castine Inn were identified.

Nice offerings, Brook.

Another idea worth trying, especially this time of year- try tossing a wee bit of your very best sweet corn into your crabcake mix- then topping with a pat of butter when it's lifted from the skillet. Kind of what I like to think of as an Illinois/Alaska hybrid!

I like them like that, Kevin. Unfortunately, Friend Wife can't do corn. She loves it, but it doesn't love her.

Until going through my recipe cards, notes, and cookbooks I didn't realize how many recipes do not specifically include Old Bay. What an oversight! I add it to any crab cake recipe.

Another addition that perks up most crab cake recipes is a shot of creole mustard. I tend to add it unless I'm planning to plate my favorite way: a crabcake sitting on a slice of fried green tomato, all of it slathered with remoulade sauce. Ummmmmmmm!

The list I gave represents maybe half the crab cake recipes in my collection. But after awhile they all start sounding samee-same. Note, though, that they all call for the minimum amount of filler. The idea is to headline the crabmeat.

The only recipe I have that piles on the filler is for Fisherman's Wharf Crab Cakes. That one calls for 2 cups of breadcrumbs, plus other truck. But, of course, Fisherman's Wharf services the tourist trade, so they want to make them as cheaply as possible. After all, they're never gonna see that customer again, so what difference does it make how good or bad they prepare their products?

Nice, Brook- I keep creole mustard on-hand for two purposes- crabcakes and believe it or not- as a "secret" ingredient to Mac & Cheese. Whisking a bit into a bechamel before adding the cheeses adds TONS of dimension and flavor- it's certainly detectable to the tongue- but not in so strong a way that anyone can tell you exactly what it is they're tasting.

(You've mentioned your fav fried-green-tomato crabcake-treatment often, Brook. I've never tried it... but now, I feel I must!)

By the way- I worked at a restaurant years ago that right on the menu under "crabcakes" claimed: 'the simplest recipe ever- pulled directly from the pages of Hemmingway's "The Old Man and the Sea".

Last edited:
Been a long time since I read any Hemingway, Kevin. I don't recall whether there was a crabcake recipe or not.

Oh, well. What's another trip to the library. :rolleyes:

I never heard of Old Bay, I Love crab-cakes. I have never made them before. I always bought them frozen & had them in restaurants at brunch. All these recipes sound really good, mm Cookie :)

Last edited:
Cookie, Old Bay is available in just about every supermarket in America. You should have no trouble finding it.

Originated by the Baltimore Spice Co. more than 60 years ago and now owned and packaged by McCormack, Old Bay is a seasoning mix particularly formulated for seafood, but good for poultry and meats as well.

Ingredients are celery salt, mustard, red pepper, black pepper, bay leaves, cloves, allspice, ginger, mace, cardamom, cinnamon, and paprika.

Making your own crabcakes isn't difficult. Anyone who can make a hamburger can do it. The trick is to keep the filler content as small as possible, so that you taste crab rather than breadcrumbs. And to use real crabmeat. The make-believe stuff won't work.

Thanks I will look for Old Bay. I love the ingredient's. I use McCormick all the time different spices. Cookie :)

Truth to tell, Cookie, Old Bay is one of the very few seasoning mixes that I buy. Usually I prefer making my own blends. But this one is just so perfect for the purpose there's no need to play around.

Back