What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cake Mixes - Homemade Vs Store Bought

Oops! JKander - it's a recipe for a diet coke cake that has eggs in it. There are soda cake recipes using a can of soda pop and a cake mix and some call for eggs or egg whites added to the recipe. Does that make more sense to you??

I prefer to make cakes and brownies from scratch when I have the time. Homemade always seems to taste better to me. The exception to that is Ghirardelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mix.

I love to make corn muffins with chili, stews, etc but have never made them from scratch. Does anyone have a good recipe for corn muffins?

I know several people who make homemade Bisquick. It actually isn't just flour and baking soda; there is fat in it and a few other things.

You are right, the Bisquick does have shortening in it, which I suppose is it's attraction. It's not so hard to use a pastry tool to cut in your own shortening to the flour. That's what I do.

Oops! JKander - it's a recipe for a diet coke cake that has eggs in it. There are soda cake recipes using a can of soda pop and a cake mix and some call for eggs or egg whites added to the recipe. Does that make more sense to you??

I see, I made a mistake. Wow, after re-reading what I said, that makes me sound pretty stupid. E-Awkward moment...

JKander - that is why they make erasers! We ALL make mistakes!! God knows I have made more than my share of them!! And you do NOT sound pretty stupid at all. There are times I get very 'THICK' and I just don't get it - I guess it's because I'm blonde! LOL

MM

Pilsbury all the way, I do NOT bake, I don't care for sweets myself, so perhaps that's why I don't bake. There are a few things that I bake, Cakes & Muffins (pilsbury) But, I do make my own from scratch - Apple Rhubarb Chrunch. Of course probably cause this is very easy, and it's more of cooking than baking to me. Plus, I love it, and my family loves it.
And the only other dessert I can think of that I make, I don't bake it, except the crust.
Hats off to all of you bakers, from a crazy cook.

I use cake mixes instead of making my own, but i usually doctor it up with ideas from The Cake Mix Doctor cookbook so it tastes more homemade :).

I make all my cookies and bread from scratch. When it comes to cake mix it comes from a box. I have never been able to make a good cake from scratch. I can make the icing, but the cake never turns out very good.

You are right, the Bisquick does have shortening in it, which I suppose is it's attraction. It's not so hard to use a pastry tool to cut in your own shortening to the flour. That's what I do.

I've always just used a fork to cut in the shortening or butter, whichever the recipe calls for. It usually takes a little longer, but hey that's what my 10-year-old is for. :D I tell her if she wants the cake/brownies/cookies/whatever, she has to cut in the shortening or butter.

You know, reading this thread is making me want some brownies... I guess I better quit reading, before I ruin my husband's diet by making some.

Mama Mangia, I'd like some of your mix recipes if you don't mind sharing. I know it would be easier to spend a couple hours putting the mixes together on the weekend when the baby's asleep than it would be to try to make a cake or brownies every evening with her underfoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I said diet be darned and started some brownies anyway... They are in the oven now, I can't wait till they are done.

Here's a few from my collection - I'm not sure of what you are looking for...

Aunt Jemima's Pancake Mix

2 cups Self-rising flour
2 cups Bisquick
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Non-dairy creamer powder

TO USE THE MIX:

1 Egg
8 ounces 7-up
1 3/4 cups prepared pancake mix

THE MIX: In an 8-cup container, stir together flour, Bisquick, sugar and creamer. Cover tightly. Refrigerate mix to use within 3 months.
Makes 7 cups of mix.

TO USE: Into blender, put egg, 7-up and prepared pancake mix. Blend at high speed until smooth, 1 minute. Allow 1/3 cup batter for each 6" pancake.

Yellow Cake Mix

1 7/8 cups cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; stir to blend; resift with sugar. Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks crumbly. Label and store in a sealed plastic bag at room temperature. Makes 1 package mix. Each package makes two 8 or 9 inch layers or one 9 x 13 x 2 inch rectangle.

TO USE: Pour 1 package of mix into a mixing bowl; add 3/4 cup milk and 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract. Using either an electric or manual rotary beater, beat at slow to medium speed for two minutes (by hand, beat 3 minutes averaging 135 strokes per minute). Scrape the sides of the bowl frequently as you beat. Add 2 eggs; beat 1 minute more (2 minutes by hand). Grease and dust with flour your choice of pan(s); spread batter evenly in pans. Bake round cake pans at 375 degrees F. for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean; bake the 9 x 13 x 2 inch pan for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake(s) for 10 minutes in their pan(s) before turning out on racks.

CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX
Make several batches of the mix at one time. Store it in an airtight container (or a doubled airtight plastic bag) in a cool, dry place (not the refrigerator!) for up to two months.

2-1/4 c. unbleached flour, stirred before measuring and spooned lightly into measuring cup
1 2/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
1 T. baking powder
Large pinch of salt

Sift or strain all ingredients into large bowl. With large spoon, blend well until of an even color. Carefully pour or spoon into airtight storage container. Seal; store at cool, dry room temperature for up to 2 months.

TO MAKE CAKE:

One package or container of cake mix
1-1/4 c. water
3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened (butter must be soft but not melted)
3 large eggs
2 t. vanilla (optional)

Preheat oven to 350* F. Grease and flour pans. Line bottoms with wax paper, grease and flour. Pour cake mix into a large bowl or large bowl of electric mixer. Add remaining ingredients. Beat at lowest speed until dry ingredients are moistened (if using a hand-held mixer, beat at a low speed). Beat two minutes at medium speed. Batter may appear slightly curdled, but will bake up fine. Pour into prepared pan(s). Bake
27 to 35 minutes, turning pan(s) back-to-front once about halfway during baking time (if using layer pans, switch their positions in the oven as you do so). Cake is done when toothpick inserted in center emerges with a few moist crumbs still clinging to it. Do not overbake! Remove pan(s) to cooling racks. For doubled foil oblong pan, allow cake to cool completely before serving or frosting. For layer pans, cool 10 to 15 minutes. Gently loosen cakes from edges of pan; invert onto cooling racks. Carefully peel off wax paper circles from cake bottoms; re-invert to cool right side up. Cool completely before frosting.
NOTE: To make cake with oil, use a tasteless vegetable oil (such as corn oil), and use only 1/2 cup (yes, 1/2 cup oil instead of 3/4 cup butter). Prepare cake as directed above with stand mixer, hand-held mixer, or by hand using a whisk EXCEPT after dry ingredients are moistened and bowl beater(s) scraped, beat only one minute at medium speed. Bake and cool as directed above.

Double-Fudge Brownie Mix
Dense and fudgie; these are the best brownies in the world.

2 cups sugar
1 cup cocoa (not Dutch process)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chocolate chips

Mix all the ingredients together and store in an airtight container.

If you want to give this mix as a gift, attach the following instructions to the jar:
Double-Fudge Brownies

1 package Double-Fudge Brownie Mix
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
4 eggs

Preheat the oven to 325° F. Grease a 12x9 inch pan. In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the Double-Fudge Brownie Mix and continue to beat the mixture until it is smooth. Spread the mixture into the greased pan, and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.

Cookie Mix

5 cups flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups vegetable shortening

In a large bowl mix well the flour, sugars, salt and baking soda. With a pastry blender or 2 knives cut shortening into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store airtight in a cool, dry place. Use within 3 months. Makes about 10 cups.

Raisin-Oatmeal Cookies
In a large bowl mix well 2 cups Cookie Mix, 2 cups quick oats, 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar and chopped walnuts. Stir in 2 slightly beaten eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract until well blended. Shape dough in 1-inch balls. Place 1 1/2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Press flat with bottom of glass dipped in flour. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to racks to cool. Makes 66.

Spice Cookies
In a medium bowl mix well 2 cups Cookie Mix and 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice. Stir in 1 slightly beaten egg, 1/4 cup molasses and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until well blended. Drop by teaspoonfuls (dip spoon in water to prevent sticking) 2 inches apart on greased baking sheet. Press flat with bottom of glass dipped in granulated sugar (moisten glass to help sugar adhere if necessary). Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are browned. Remove to racks to cool. Makes 36.

Easy Peanut Butter Cookies
In a medium bowl mix well 2 cups Cookie Mix and 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar. Stir in 1 slightly beaten egg, 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until well blended. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 1 1/2 inches apart on greased baking sheet. Press flat with fork tines dipped in water to prevent sticking. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are browned. Remove to racks to cool. Makes 40.

Fudgy Brownies
In a medium bowl mix well 2 cups Cookie Mix, 1 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup cocoa powder. Stir in 2 slightly beaten eggs, 2 tablespoons water and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until well blended. Fold in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Spoon into greased 8-inch square baking pan; smooth top. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack. Cut into 2-inch squares. Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.

Pinwheel Cookies
In a medium bowl stir 2 1/2 cups Cookie Mix, 1 slightly beaten egg and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract until well blended. Divide dough in half. With hands or wooden spoon work 2 tablespoons cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon water into half until well blended. Chill if necessary before rolling out. Roll out each half between 2 sheets lightly floured wax paper to a 12 x 9-inch rectangle. Place chocolate on vanilla. Starting at wide side, roll up tightly; chill for 1 hour.
Cut into 1/8-inch slices. Place 1 1/2 inches apart on greased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to racks to cool.

Checkerboard Cookies
Use Pinwheel Cookies recipe above. Divide chocolate and vanilla halves in half. Shape each to 1/2-inch thick rope with hands, lightly floured if necessary. Place a chocolate and vanilla roll parallel to each other, then a vanilla roll on top of the chocolate and a chocolate roll on top of the vanilla. Press lightly to form a compact roll (if necessary, moisten rolls with water to keep dough together). Wrap rolls airtight. Chill for 1 hour or overnight.
Cut into 1/8-inch slices. Bake as directed for Pinwheel Cookies.

Chocolate Chip Squares
In a large bowl mix well 2 1/3 cups Cookie Mix and 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar. Stir in 2 slightly beaten eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until well blended. Fold in 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips and 1 cup chopped walnuts. Use a small metal spatula dipped in water to spread mixture in greased and lightly floured 15 x 10-inch jellyroll pan. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan on rack. Cut into 2-inch squares.

DUNCAN HINES MOIST DELUXE DARK CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX

MIX:
2 c. flour
1 ¾ c. baker's sugar (superfine sugar)
¾ c. cocoa
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 ¼ t. salt
4 T. shortening

TO MAKE CAKE:
1 1/3 c. water
½ c. vegetable oil
3 large eggs

Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Stir to combine. Add shortening, then use an electric mixer on medium speed to blend shortening into dry ingredients. Mix until no chunks of shortening are visible. This is your cake mix, which you can keep in a sealed container for several months until you are ready to make the cake.

TO MAKE CAKE: Preheat oven to 350* F. Grease sides and bottom of two 9-inch baking pans or one 13 X 9-inch pan. Lightly flour greased pans. Blend dry cake mix with water, oil and eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer at low speed until moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 more minutes. Pour batter into pans and bake for 30 to 33 minutes for 9-inch pans, and 35 to 38 minutes for 13x9-inch pan. You can also make cupcakes with the mix. They take 19 to 22 minutes.

Pancake Mix

9 pounds all-purpose flour
8 ounces baking powder
1/4 cup salt
24 ounces granulated sugar
24 ounces nonfat dry milk

No directions included. See notes.

Yield:
"12 lb mix"

NOTES : VARIATION:

Buttermilk Pancake Mix. Substitute 1 lb 8 oz dry buttermilk for nonfat dry milk and add 2 Tbsp baking soda.

Pancakes From Mix

2 pounds pancake mix
7 ounces eggs (about 4 total) -- beaten
1 quart water
4 ounces oil or melted shortening

Weigh approximate amount of Pancake Mix

Add beaten eggs, water, and cooled melted fat.

Stir only until mix is dampened.

Cook until cake is full of bubbles. Turn and finish cooking.

Yield:
"30 cakes"

NOTES : To make 50 cakes: use 3 lb of Pancake mix, 6 (10 oz) beaten eggs, 1 1/2 qt water, 6 oz shortening.

To make 100 cakes: use 6 lb of Pancake mix, 12 (1 lb 5 oz) beaten eggs, 3 qt water, 12 oz shortening.

To make 200 cakes: use 12 lb of Pancake mix, 24 (2 lb 10 oz) beaten eggs, 1 1/2 gal water, 1 lb 8 oz shortening.

Bisquick Baking Mix

8 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup baking powder
2 tsp salt
2/3 cups nonfat milk
1 cup shortening (do not use oil)

Mix all dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until it resembles coarse meal. Store in an airtight container. Will last three months. If you need to keep longer, freeze. Use like you would Bisquick or any biscuit baking mix.

CHICKEN GRAVY MIX

1 1/3 C. instant nonfat dry milk powder
3/4 C. flour
3 T. instant chicken bouillon granules
1/4 tsp. ground sage
1/8 tsp. ground thyme
1/8 tsp. ground pepper
1/2 C. butter or margarine

Combine milk powder, instant flour, bouillon granules, thyme, sage and pepper. Stir with a wire whisk to blend. Cut in butter or margarine until evenly distributed. Spoon into a 3-cup container with a tight-fitting lid. Label with date and contents; store in the refrigerator. Use within 4 to 6 weeks.

I got more..........

You know, reading this thread is making me want some brownies... I guess I better quit reading, before I ruin my husband's diet by making some.

Ha, diets, my diet is to eat as much as possible so I can gain some weight. I love how some people envy me so much.

Well I'm pregnant and am supposed to be gaining weight, but I guess I'm not gaining fast enough for them because everyone keeps telling me to eat more. I'm 24 weeks pregnant, and weigh 206. I weighed 204 three months before I got pregnant, and I know I lost weight between that weighing and when I found out I was pregnant. So I'm guessing my actual pre-pregnancy weight was close to 190. But the dr's office and WIC go by the 204 weight, even if it is wrong. So to them, I've only gained 2 pounds since becoming pregnant. But according to me, I've gained more like 15 pounds which is right where I'm supposed to be, so :p on them.

I got more..........

I'd love to have them... Hubby especially love Duncan Hines Deluxe Dark Chocolate Cakes. Of course he loves Dark chocolate anyway, so I may have to spoil him tonight and make him one.

Wow, I copy/pasted those mix recipes into Word, and they came up to 7 pages. I'm going to have fun with these tonight while Hubby's watching NASCAR and College Football.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hubby has a major sweet tooth, so anything dessert related would be good. But he's getting tired of cakes and brownies, because that's what I've been making alot of lately... Is it just me or does it seem quicker to bake a cake or a batch of brownies than to bake a batch of cookies??? It may just be me because we have an old gas stove that has only one shelf in the oven, so I can only bake one cookie sheet at a time...

I like to make my own,but when I need to get something done quickly I get boxed things. There are a lot of good cookie mixes/brownie/cake mixes out there, some not so good (tooooo sweet).

I do like some of the icings out there too.. not many, but some. :)

Back