What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Fridge

As I mentioned in another thread about fantasy-kitchens, I personally don't want appliances or fixtures/appoinments in my home that remind me of a commercial kitchen. I just worked in one for far too long. When I cook/eat at home, I want to feel comfy like I'm at home- not at work. I understand the faddish appeal to stainless reefers, Viking ranges/monstrous hood systems, glass-front reach-ins, and the like. But they're not for me- not at all.

Another weird thing to me has always been this realtor's perspective that many of us fail to consider: Should a 3-4 bedroom house really have a 6-8 eye stove meant to cook for 50? 2-3 ovens that can hold full-sized sheet pans... a griddle that can easily accomodate 24 pancakes? Do any of us really have a dining table that seats 12-20 or 50 in our homes that sleep 4 or 5? Seems a bit goofy if ya ask me. It's like seeing a 2-seater Corvette pulling a 40 ft. Airsteam! Silly, silly silly!

Hi Brook,

We Saw Just Refrigerators At The Lowe's Here In Rome,. They were large and Did Not Have A Freezer, And Sounds Like That Would Be Just Up Your Alley! Have You Got A Lowe's You Can Check With? Just A Thought.

Cathy

Coincidentally, Cathy, we stopped in at Lowes yesterday. They didn't have any of them on display, but we looked at one on-line---a Whirlpool if I recall correctly.

We've dropped that into the data mill. But want to check a few more places, first, as I hate to buy anything I haven't actually looked at.

Good Deal!!! I know you'll find one! And I do not blame you at all for wanting to see it first! We just purchased a new side by side approx. a month 1/2 ago and we love it. Kept the one that came with our house and use it for extras, keep it out in the shed, it comes in handy for Watermelon, and our cold drinks, wine and what have you!

Last edited:
Kev...I love the earth tones too in a Kitchen.Hubby anf I renovated our Kitchen when we moved in here last year and we put stone backsplash around the cabinets and a patterned copper backslpash back of the stove. We had a bunch of broken Mexican tiles laying around so we broke them in smaller peices and made counter tops out of them. LOL....I had never laid any type of tile before so that was an experience fitting all those little peices together!But it was so worth it. We have gotten a lot of compliments on it. You can set hot things down on it and doesn't affect it at all.
My dream home too Kev....is a Log Home built by the 40 acre lake we have. Maybe one day.

bottom freezer refrigerator

I'd love to have a bottom freezer refrigerator in my one-bedroom apartment. I've lived here twelve years now. So, I asked the manager if it was possible for me to have a new refrigerator with the freezer on the bottom? I gave her four models to pick from if the budget allowed. She said that she'd get me a new bottom freezer refrigerator this December. I sure hope I get one.

New bottom-freezer refrigerator!

In January, the manager and I drove over to our local Sears. We picked out a white Kenmore 20 cubic foot bottom-freezer refrigerator for my apartment. I simply love this new bottom-freezer refrigerator. No more bending way down to put away and remove produce in their bins.

I think those are safer Max. No frozen foods falling out and crashing to the floor. I'm always pulling out thefridge to clean behind it and it knocks my frozen foods around. then I have to open it very carefully or else.

...count me in!

we just got a 26ft3 'french' door with bottom freezer - ice&water in the door.

I went with Samsung (made in Mexico!) as I liked the interior layout best - especially in the freezer. some make have the freezer divided up into cute little (double/triple) drawers - all those 'divisions' eat up usable space!

and how about the ones with just a wire mesh freezer 'basket'? bust open a bag of frozen veggies and that'll be a "clean up in aisle 1" task!

had to move the 1/4 inch water line for the new model - it's wide wide - leaving only 1/8 inch clearance on either side of our "fridge hole" - managed to nick the copper line with the drill - water _everywhere_ . . . [sigh] fun stuff, eh?

otoh, I did "test" the shut off valve _before_ I started that exercise just to be certain I could turn off a flood . . . the potential which I put at 50-50

I lost . . .

Back