What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Homemade Biscuits

Pioneer Porridge sounds delightful- the perfect stuff to start off a day on these Frigid mornings! My grand loves her oatmeal in the mornings! Of course I add a little butter, smother it in brown sugar and pour on a little milk, who could resist? What you said about the flour makes perfect since, I have never really given it much thought before now, I will try sticking with the quality flours from here on out.
Yes sir ree Most Definelty some beautiful areas up here I don't even want to get started, after all this is a cooking forum! LOL
CCCathy

BGrande I also wanted to mention you can add shredded cheddar and a little garlic powder to the basic biscuit recipe and have biscuits just like Red Lobster serves!

I have fond memories of my Granny teaching me to make homeade Buttermilk biscuits. She used her hands to mix em up and roll em out ! She had a special wooden bowl she used only for mixing biscuits in.
That's one thing that I learned how to do really well.....my son Dusty tells everyone...no one bakes bicuits as good as his Mom ! lol..

Cathy, you knew I would come searching for it. I make my biscuits the same way except I crowd mine into a greased cast iron skillet. A friend suggested I try it that way many years ago and it makes a major difference. I crowd them into the cast iron skillet. Press each top down gently in the center. Put a little pat of butter onto it and into the 500 degree oven. They rise up end are almost like a yeast dough by the looks of the finished product.
I remember when I first was given the recipe. Up here in the north east, Self Rising flour wasn't very easy to come by. I still can't get self rising corn flour. I had the hardest time getting to learn the right amount of milk to use. You southerners that have been doing this since birth have the touch. I would say that I use almost 3/4 of a cup of milk to the 2 cups of self rising flour.
As far as the sour dough starter goes. Did you add any baking soda to the flour since the sour dough is an acid? I believe you would if you use buttermilk, right?

I thought I'd share a photo of how mine look when they are done. Do they look familiar. I have to thank my friend from W. Va for training me on the art of baking them many years ago.

Last edited:
Back