What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuffed Broccoli

Cathy, those chicken thighs sound great. My brother and I got together once to watch a sporting even, and we had thought to do wings, but after shopping around, we bought a couple packs of drumsticks and made them with BBQ sauce instead. Very good, less expensive than wings, and a lot more meat. We had a pretty good time with that.

I love Big Lots! Great store isn’t it. You can get some really good deals there, although lately, it seems Big Lots is getting rather proud of themselves, and the prices are creeping up. Ever go to a Dollar Tree. That’s a fun store.

Bargain Shopping!!!

Yes Keltin,
I do every now and then visit the Dollar Tree, and they have just recently added a frozen food section in the back, there are frozen veggies and Italian Ices and other $1. items chip dip, etc...that you'd normally pay a little bit more for @ a grocery store. And I agree Big Lots is creeping their prices up!:) But with the price of fuel being what it is I forsee more price increases in the near future:mad: But if this forum can help us all share our knowledge and love of Good Food at the most affordable prices well then...we have an edge!:) I am so glad I found it! And I hope to learn much more in time! Also when I mention bragain hunting for good food at a reasonable price, the most wonderful thing I know of is for instance the Chip Dip from Dollar Tree is pretty just OK tasting, by the time I Dr. it up with a tsp. of Onion Powder, tsp. of granulated beef bullion, and tsp of worstershire it is simply wonderful and to my tastes exactly!!! There is no end to what an active imagination and a little intent can accomplish!

Hmmmmmm? I always thought duxelles was merely the finely chopped mushrooms. At least that's how the French use the term. The duxelles is then used with other ingredients to create stuffings.

Used to do a stuffed mushroom that way, for instance.

A great use is for fish turbans. Original recipe called for musky filets, cut in strips about 1 1/2 inches wide and 8 to ten inches long. You take a buttered, round-bottomed pudding cup, and curl one of those filets into it after salt & peppering it.

Prepare a bunch of duxelle (that's the hard part, assuming you chop by hand). Saute them in a very small amount of butter, cooking until most of the liquid evaporates. Then make a very thick bechamel. Incorporate the duxelle into the sauce and fill the cups with it.

Bake at 375F for about 20-25 minutes. Let rest five or ten minutes and unmold onto a serving plate. Spinkle with a little paprika.

As to adobo, it's actually a dish native to both Mexico and the Philipines, usually made with either pork or chicken. In Mexico it is chili based. In the Philipines its based around vinegar.

I'm guessing that the adobo mixture y'all are talking about is the herbs and spices used in the Mexican version.

Favorite spices? You don't ask any easy ones, do you Cathy? If I had to pick I'd say any of several North African mixtures generally identified as "Morracan." But, thank the culinary gods, I don't have to pick just one.

Back