Make something special for dinner with this pizza made using cauliflower as the crust. Yes, cauliflower the vegetable. Cauliflower and Mozzarella cheese are blended, then pre-baked into a crust. Then top with your favorite pizza toppings and bake. This pizza turns out very well and if no-one was watching you, they might not know that they were eating their vegetables with that pizza you served them for dinner. Secret veggie-agent-cooking. Shhh.
The first time you make this cauliflower pizza crust it may seem like a lot of work. Yet, like lots of things in life, once you get the grasp of doing it, you’ll find it’s a piece of cake.
So, first things first. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 pound (about 2 cups) “riced” cauliflower (“riced” – finely chopped to about this size of a grain of rice)†
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese. grated
- 1 tsp McCormick Onion Powder
- 1 tsp McCormick Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp McCormick Oregano Leaves
- 1/4 tsp McCormick Basil Leaves
- Pinch of McCormick White Pepper
- 1/4 cup corn meal
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Microwave riced cauliflower in a covered dish on high for about 4 minutes.††
- Let stand covered for 1 minute.
- Line a large baking pan or other flat dish with paper towel and spread out the cooked cauliflower and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Place cauliflower into a large mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Mix well and form into a ball.
- Line a round pizza pan with parchment paper then form the cauliflower dough into a round pizza crust and place on the pan.
- Place a cookie cooling rack in the oven and slide the pizza crust on the parchment paper onto the rack and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove crust from oven. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Carefully flip crust over. Do this by placing round pizza pan on top of cooled crust and flip cookie cooling rack. Top with your favorite pizza sauce and toppings.
- Return to oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until cheese is melted. Cook longer for a crisper crust or cook on a pizza stone.
- Remove, slice, and eat white hot but not too hot!
† A food processor makes this step a breeze. Or you can check your grocer to see if they carry a prepared package of riced cauliflower. But it’s really not that hard to chop a cauliflower with a plain old kitchen knife.
††Microwave ovens vary so watch as you cook as yours might cook faster).
Pictures of step of preparing the Cauliflower pizza crust: