What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$200 vs $20

D

dougiezerts

"Is a $200 bottle of wine REALLY that much better than a $20 bottle?" I saw this question in a wine magazine, and I thought I'd ask it to all of you.
I'm affraid I can't answer it myself, as I've only tried the $20 bottles!:D

You're ahead of me. I still buy the $1.99 bottles. The only way I would buy a $200 bottle would be if it was someone else's money.

Wow good question, I have had expensive wine from France it was exqusite! Very smooth, and funny thing you could drink a whole bottle (well almost) and not get too roasted:)

Also some of the very best whiskey I ever had was from Ireland (very exspensive here in the US) and it was sooo smoothe and just wonderful.

I suppose it is a matter of taste and affordability, but some of the real expensive liquor and wine is well worth the price if you can afford it. I think if you can not it'd probably give you a belly-ache when you shelled out the bucks:D

Hey Doug are you still collecting Menu's? How do you have them displayed?

Last edited:
Yes, I still collect menus. Right now, I've got most of them stuffed into a couple 9x12 thick mailers, but I hope to eventually put all of them into scrapbooks.
By the way, how do $1.99 wines taste?:)

I usually get the clearance priced bottles at the liquor store. They run from $7-$14 a bottle. I never drink them I use them to cook with. I dont care for the taste of wine.

Well I can tell you that a $200 bottle of Remy Martin XO cognac is much better than any less expensive VSOP. There is a marked difference in smoothness and more of a caramel flavor. As for wine expensive champagne is definitely superior to cheap bubbly but in wine I'm not so sure. I don't think I've had a really expensive bottle. The most expensive I've tried was a $70 bottle of white burgundy. I've had $50 bottles and $30 bottles but none of them seemed any better to me than a $20 bottle. When it comes to wine we usually stay at $20 or less. Especially since we have it so often. It would be way too expensive for us to drink 5 bottles a week at $50 a bottle.

Yes, I still collect menus. Right now, I've got most of them stuffed into a couple 9x12 thick mailers, but I hope to eventually put all of them into scrapbooks.
By the way, how do $1.99 wines taste?:)

A $1.99 bottle of wine (like Mad Dog 20/20) tastes sweet and like grapes according to my expert friend. The cheapest wine I ever had was Boone's Farm it was good, but I was a kid then. Now I stick to mostly $15.00bottles from the Georgia Wineries near here:) I LOVE IT!!!

Doug I was wondering why couldn't you fix some of your menus in matts and frame them in nice frames and use them as a kitchen/dining room decoration scheme! I think that would be so cool! Just an idea!

Last edited:
That's an interesting idea, thanks!
Wine from Georgia? I live in Maryland, and we have a few wineries. Haven't tried them, yet.

Back