Jul 16 # 1 of 1
* Carrots, peeled (you can use the whole bag of small cleaned carrots)
* 3/4 Sweet Potatoes peeled
* One large brisket or bottom round may be used
* 1 pound mixed dried fruit such as apricots, prunes, peaches
* Approx 1 teas salt, or to taste.
* 1/2 C. Honey or brown sugar
* 1 large onion
* 2 tlb shortening or chicken fat
* 2 tlb flour
Note: the last two ingredients may not be necessary if you do not make or need to make a roux.
Slice vegetables 1" thick (small carrots may be left whole). Season meat to taste and sear on all sides in heavy Dutch Oven or heavy saucepan. Add vegetables and dried fruit to the meat. Add salt, honey, onion and water to cover. Bring to the boiling point and skim the foam off the top. Reduce heat and simmer. Cook uncovered for approx 2 1/2 to 3 hrs depending on size of meat (until the meat is tender to the fork). More water may be added if required. Taste and correct the seasoning. Make a roux of the fat and flour and add to mixture if desired. Turn into a casserole or baking dish and bake in preheated moderate oven (350 degrees) for 30 minutes or until brown on top. You can make this earlier and set aside and put in oven before serving if desired.