Jun 8 # 1 of 1
Caldo Gallego is a hearty stew-like soup from northern Spain. It is a rich and flavorful blend of white beans, ham, Spanish sausage, potatoes and greens.
1 lb. medium-sized white beans
2 1/2 quarts water
1/2 lb. salt pork, cubed
1 meaty ham bone or smoked pork hock
6 small white potatoes, peeled and diced
1 bunch collards, mustard greens or spinach
4 Spanish sausages (chorizos) Salt, if needed
1. Rinse beans. Cover with 6 cups water in a large kettle, soak overnight.
2. When ready to cook, add additional 1 quart water, the salt pork and ham bone.
3. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer about 2 1/2 hrs. or until beans are tender.
3. Add potatoes and collards or mustard greens. (If using spinach. add later with the chorizos.) Simmer 20 min.
4. Cut chorizos in 1-inch pieces. Add to beans and cook 10 min. longer. Taste and add salt if necessary. If too salty, add additional water.
6. Remove ham bone. Cut off meat and return meat to stew. Serve in soup bowls.
Remove ham bone. Cut off meat and return meat to stew. Serve in