Jun 27 # 1 of 5
Saw this in a magazine at the doctors office today.
Seemed to be the usual butter, brown sugar, pineapple thing, but topped with your basic carrot cake recipe.
I might try it and get back--those are two of my crew's favorites, see if it goes over?
Posted By: Cook Chatty Cathy
Jun 27 # 2 of 5
Wow this sounds different, but tasty! Thanks for the tip, I am going to bake one this weekend. Sadly I have to omit the nuts from my banana bread, carrot cake type recipes as my fiance can not have them, but pineapple would more than compensate for the lack of nuts.
Jul 1 # 3 of 5
Can your fiance eat coconut?
I've got this one - but I can eat nuts and I cannot eat the coconut - so I leave that out:
* 2/3 c brown sugar, packed .
* For the Upside Down Topping .
* 2 tsps baking soda .
* 1/2 c buttermilk .
* 1 (6 oz) jar maraschino cherries .
* For the Glaze .
* 3/4 c vegetable oil .
* 1 1/2 c coconut, grated .(that I leave out)
* 1 tsp vanilla extract .
* 1/2 tsp baking soda .
* 3 eggs, room temperature .
* 2 c granulated sugar .
* 3/4 c buttermilk .
* 1 tbsp light corn syrup .
* 2 tsps vanilla extract .
* 1 1/2 c walnuts, sliced .
* 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, well drained .
* 1/2 tsp salt .
* For the Carrot Cake .
* 1 c granulated sugar .
* 1 (20 oz) can sliced pineapples, drained .
* 2 c golden raisins, sliced .
* 1/4 c unsalted butter, melted .
* 2 tsps ground cinnamon .
* 2 1/4 c all-purpose flour .
* 4 1/2 c carrots, grated .
* 1/2 c unsalted butter
* Step #1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, then grease & flour a 13"x9" glass baking dish.
* Step #2 FOR THE TOPPING: Spread melted butter evenly into bottom of prepared baking dish.
* Step #3 Sprinkle top brown sugar evenly over melted butter.
* Step #4 Arrange pineapple slices over brown sugar & place a cherry in center of each slice.
* Step #5 FOR THE CAKE: In large bowl, whisk or sift together flour, cinnamon & salt, baking soda, then set aside.
* Step #6 In medium bowl, sugar & vanilla, beat eggs, buttermilk, then add oil, mixing well.
* Step #7 Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
* Step #8 Stir in crushed pineapple, coconut & raisins, walnuts, carrots, mixing well.
* Step #9 Pour into prepared baking dish & bake this at least 65-70 mins or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
* Step #10 FOR THE GLAZE: About 10 mins before cake is done, in saucepan mix sugar, baking soda, buttermilk, corn syrup & butter.
* Step #11 Bring to boil & boil 5 mins.
* Step #12 Remove from heat & add vanilla.
* Step #13 Remove cake from oven & with a skewer or knife poke a number of holes into the hot cake, making sure holes reach bottom of cake.
* Step #14 Slowly pour hot glaze over hot cake, carefully spreading it all over cake until it is absorbed.
* Step #15 Let cake cool 15-20 mins on wire rack, then carefully invert it into a 15"x10" baking dish [or onto large platter].
* Step #16 Refrigerate when completely cooled.
Posted By: Cook Chatty Cathy
Jul 1 # 4 of 5
I think he can eat coconut! Thanks so much MamaM.
Jul 1 # 5 of 5
Let me know how he likes it! And of course - you're very welcomed!