Every time we go to the Popeye’s Chicken shop, we get their Cajun rice. We simply love it. So here’s our rendition of Popeye’s Cajun Rice. We make our Cajun Rice using Basmati rice which is different than the long grained rice used by the Popeye’s restaurant chain.
Popeye’s Cajun Rice
- 1 cup Basmati Rice (you may substitute long grain white rice instead).
- Chicken Broth
- 1/2 pound chicken livers
- 1/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup finely diced onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced green onion (scallion)
- 1/3 cup finely diced celery
- 1/3 cup finely diced bell pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/8 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp Gumbo File
- Cook rice according to package directions except substitute chicken broth for the water called for in the recipe. 1 regular sized can of chicken broth contains about 2 cups of broth.
- Brown the 1/4 pound of ground beef in a non-stick skillet. Break up fine while cooking.
- As you’re cooking the ground beef, also cook 1/2 pound of chicken livers in a pot of water. Cook about 10 minutes after the water begins to boil. Strain, then chop fine.
- Add the diced onions, green onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, white pepper, Tabasco Sauce and Gumbo File. Saute until the onions, peppers, and celery are cooked, about 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and chopped chicken livers, and stir together. Heat for about 2 minutes, then serve.