Some of the most flavorful cuts of beef are also the most tough. With this recipe for Barbecued Beef Brisket, we’re going to take one of the toughest cuts of beef, apply some tenderizer, braise it, boil it, cook it in barbecue sauce, all done without a grill, and end up with a very tender meal. Be aware that this is a recipe that takes time. From start to finish is about 6 1/2 hours of preparation and cooking. The results are worth the investment in time.
We use a couple of what might be hard to find ingredients in this recipe which are Onion Juice and Garlic Juice. We feel that for this brisket roast that the Onion and Garlic Juices instead of sliced onion and minced soak garlic let the flavors soak more deeply into the food and impart a lighter flavor since the flavor is more dispersed. You can find these onion and garlic juices in Safeway Stores and we’re trying to find a supplier for our e-store.
Recipe for Stovetop Barbecued Beef Brisket
- 5 pound beef brisket
- 2 tsp Adolphs Meat Tenderizer
- 1 tsp Onion Juice
- 3 tsp Garlic Juice
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco Sauce
- Ground Black Pepper
- Evenly sprinkle the Adolphs Tenderizer over both sides of the brisket. Season with black pepper, and then brown the brisket on all sides in a large dutch oven that has been coated with canola oil.
- Add water to the dutch oven to cover the brisket, and then add the onion juice, garlic juice, and Tabasco sauce.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
- 1 16oz bottle any quality barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup liquid smoke
- Preheat oven to 250° F.
- Remove the brisket from the dutch oven and discard the water.
- Wash the dutch oven, dry and lightly oil with canola oil.
- Place the brisket back into the dutch oven.
- Place the following in a non-stick 2 quart saucepan: barbecue sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and liquid smoke. Heat, and stir until the brown sugar is dissolved, then pour over the brisket.
- Cover the dutch oven, and place in oven
- Cook for 4 hours, checking every 45 minutes, turning, and making sure the sauce stays moist.
We served our roast with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and used the barbecue sauce with cooked with over top of the sliced brisket.
Tip: When cutting the brisket, cut across the grain so that the tough fibers in the brisket are severed.