What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is for Dinner Nov 2009

jglass

I made Jon Japanese Chicken Wings and an eggnog spice cake recipe I cut out of the Sunday paper. The cake was divine!
For me I made a simple spicy chicken sandwich. I am getting a cold and didnt care much what I had.

Tomorrow for Sunday supper I am making Linguine With Kalamata Olives and Prosciutto with garlic toast. I am taking the rest of the eggnog spice cake for dessert.

I had my Mom this week and tomorrow she goes back to my sister's for this next week. So to celebrate and kinda just keep it easy we didn't cook- we ordered a Hawaiin Pizza w/ Canadian Bacon and Pineapple- Mom had never had it before- she loved it!

This past week I cooked for her every night and we had several things she loves: beef liver & onions, beef goulash, pork chops & sweet potatoes, beef stroganoff, bbq chicken and mac & cheese, and fried catfish...

It's been tropical storming here for almost a week now. I have been working outdoors for most of it and the 3 nhours of comuting a day peeking through the wipers trying to see put me into the moof for Pasta Fazoli.

I made a good sized batch expecting to have some for the thermos for work this coming week but it has been polished off already.

The weather has been wonderful here the past 4-5 days. Up to 80 most of the time.
Today we are having roasted chicken, spring mix salad, roasted taters and turnips with onions and garlic, cornbread and turnip greens.

Your cake sounds fantastic, janie!

My sister and I made cashew-crunch caramel popcorn tonight. I took over chicken strips and bbq sauce which we ate- but all we ate the rest of the night was the caramal popcorn! YUM! :)

I'm making seared duck breast with port wine and dried cherry sauce.

On the side will be pureed parsnips and a bistro salad (baby greens, apples, applewood bacon, gorgonzola, red onion, balsamic).

I'm making seared duck breast with port wine and dried cherry sauce.

On the side will be pureed parsnips and a bistro salad (baby greens, apples, applewood bacon, gorgonzola, red onion, balsamic).

Sounds terrific!!!

I would like to try applewood bacon sometime, I was just tonight reading a recipe that called for it. Is it good and any different tasting in your opinion?

This morning I will throw a "Mexican Chicken Stew" in the Crockpot (I can call it that since it is a Rival). It's a low sodium recipe from Dick Logues book "500 Low Sodiom Recipes". Most of his are good but a few ring of "Low Sodium".

Sunday we are having a roasted chicken, deviled eggs, mac and cheese & cheddar garlic biscuits. I have a 2 pound salmon filet prepared that I smoked in my stove top smoker this evening to have with our dinner.

I missed a phone call this evening from my fil asking for me to come get turkey legs he had bought to be smoked for Sunday lol. He really liked those I made the other day I guess. Hopefully we will go for the smoked salmon as much.

This morning I will throw a "Mexican Chicken Stew" in the Crockpot (I can call it that since it is a Rival). It's a low sodium recipe from Dick Logues book "500 Low Sodiom Recipes". Most of his are good but a few ring of "Low Sodium".

Mexican Chicken Stew m-m-m-m how'd it turn out?

I may get a copy of the cookbook you mentioned. I wish I could guide my family into lowering their salt intake. I do love it, but it should be used in moderation even for us that do not require a restricted amount. Maybe just maybe if I could prepare recipes from a cookbook that use a nice combo of ingredients to flavor food so that you do not need any or at least as much, then maybe they would not notice.

Mexican Chicken Stew m-m-m-m how'd it turn out?

I may get a copy of the cookbook you mentioned. I wish I could guide my family into lowering their salt intake. I do love it, but it should be used in moderation even for us that do not require a restricted amount. Maybe just maybe if I could prepare recipes from a cookbook that use a nice combo of ingredients to flavor food so that you do not need any or at least as much, then maybe they would not notice.

It was pretty good. I might have preferred something else to the 2 cups of zucchini. Or at least sub carrot or something for 1 cup. But I wanted to try it as written since I had never had zucchini before. I actually had some more for Sunday lunch and there is still enough for tonight. It is a recipe I will keep in an altered form.

BTW I still like Dick Logues book better then the other low sodium recipe books I have. Gazzaniga's book "The No-Salt, Lowest Sodium Cookbook" is good but more to the extreme. He wants you under 500 mg a day, not the 1200 or 1500 most people strive for.

Last edited:
It is Sunday supper today so I am making my buttermilk fried chicken, yeast rolls, mac and cheese, sweet potato casserole and spice cake.

Buttermilk Fried Chicken
168heyo.jpg

White wine chicken soup loaded vegetables, ricotta gnocchi and crusty bread for dipping on tap for tomorrow. I just made the gnocchi and the chicken is roasting now. I already have some homemade broth. It was 60 here today and yesterday but tomorrow is supposed to be cold and rain. A soup day for certain.

Stuffed Pablano Peppers, Yellow Rice, and Pinto Beans

These Peppers are stuffed with Jack Cheese, diced cook potato, and a seasoned browned ground beef. Then the cap is placed back on top held together with toothpicks dipped in egg wash and flour 2 times then deep fried. I pour a small amount of Enchilada sauce on mine when I plate them.

Back