Jul 5 # 1 of 1
This recipe is from The Genuine American Cookie & Muffin Book by Peter Shaffer, lots of good recipes in there. I reduced the baking time because I find the 18-20 minutes in the book too long and gives out cookies too tough to my liking. I like mine a bit soft in the middle but crunchy/brittle on the sides.
Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
360 gm plain flour
2.5 ml bicarbonate of soda (1/2 tsp baking soda)
2.5 ml salt (1/2 tsp)
300 gm milk chocolate chips (3 x 100gm packs)
225 gm dark brown sugar
115 gm soft Demerara sugar
225 gm butter - softened
2 large eggs
10 ml vanilla flavouring (2 tsp)
1. Preheat oven to Gas Mark 3 / 170 C / 325 F.
2. Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl with a fork or wire whisk.
3. In another bowl mix butter, sugars, and flavouring. Add eggs and blend well.
4. Gradually fold in the dry ingredients into the butter mixture with a wooden spoon. Just mix long enough to combine the ingredients, do not over mix.
5. Using a tablespoon drop cookie dough by the rounded portions 1 1/2 to 2 inch in size onto a baking sheet 2 to 3 inches apart.
6. Bake for approximately 15 to 20 minutes for a soft centre cookie, slightly browned.
7. After taking out of the oven let the baking sheet cool for a few minutes before transferring the cookies to a wire rack or cool surface.