Recipe: Chicken Breasts De Volaille Archiduc
For 8 portions of Chicken Breasts De Volaille Archiduc:
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp butter
- salt and cayenne pepper
- 3 ounce boiled ham
- 2 tsp chopped tarragon
- 3 ounce Swiss cheese
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp meat glaze
- 1 1/4 cup strong chicken stock
- 2 tbsp sherry
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Calvados or apple brandy
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 ounce mushrooms
- 2 tbsp dry sherry
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp potato flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp red currant jelly
- 8 artichokes
- Remove any remaining fat and small white tendon on underside of chicken breasts.
- With a very sharp knife and chicken breasts lying on flat surface, plump side up, make a pocket in the chicken breast. Open the chicken breast and brush with Calvados or apple brandy.
- Sprinkle with salt and a tiny amount of cayenne pepper.
- While the chicken breasts are standing: Heat in saute pan 3 tablespoons butter, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and salt and white pepper to taste.
- Saute 4 ounces of thinly sliced mushrooms briefly, about 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add 3 ounces of finely shredded boiled ham, 2 tablespoons dry sherry, 2 teaspoons chopped tarragon, smidgeon of chopped garlic.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add 3 ounces of shredded Swiss cheese.
- Place in a heaping tablespoon of stuffing in each chicken breast.
- Dust the chicken breasts with flour.
- Brown in butter for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Heat 1/4 cup of Calvados, ignite and pour over chicken breasts. When blazing has stopped, remove chicken from pan.
- Remove pan from heat and add to pan 1 level teaspoon tomato paste, 1 level teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon meat glaze, and 2 teaspoons of potato flour. Mix to form a paste.
- To the tomato, Dijon sauce add 1 1/4 cups strong chicken stock, 1/4 cup dry white wine, 2 tablespoons sherry, 1 teaspoon red currant jelly, 1/2 teaspoon white pepper.
- Stir over fire until sauce comes to boil. Reduce to simmer. Add chicken breasts. Cover pan with waxed paper and let simmer very gently for 15 minutes.
To serve Chicken Breasts De Volaille Archiduc
Place an artichoke bottom on each breast. Cover with a thin slice of Swiss cheese. Heat in a 300° F oven until cheese begins to melt. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and dot with butter. Brown under broiler.