- 1 envelope yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened and cut into pieces
- 6 ounce almond paste
- 2 egg whites
- 3 1/2 ounce can blanched almonds, ground in the blender
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2-3 tbsp cream
- 3-4 tbsp sliced almonds
- unsalted butter
- Sprinkle yeast and a pinch of sugar over 1/4 cup warm (105-110 ° F) water and stir. Let the yeast stand until dissolved, about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Heat milk until luke-warm.
- Put 3 cups flour, salt, 1/4 cup sugar, 3 of the eggs, and butter in a large bowl. Then combine the yeast and the warm milk, add the mixture to the bowl, and mix to form a soft dough. Turn it out onto a floured board or marble surface and knead in about 1 cup flour, a little at a time. Knead for about 10-15 minutes, until dough is smooth and no longer sticks to the board.
- Butter a bowl lightly and put in the dough. Turn it over once so that the top is buttered lightly. Cover and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 1/2-2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- Mix the almond paste, egg whites, ground almonds and almond extract. Form into a rough square, put it between 2 sheets of wax paper, and roll it out to a 14” square. Set aside.
- Punch the dough down and turn it out onto a floured board and knead for a few minutes. Cut off 1/5 of the dough and roll out remaining dough to a 14” square.
- Peel off the top sheet of wax paper from the almond mixture and flip the paste over onto the brioche dough. Peel off the paper and roll up the pastry; then bring the ends together to form a ring.
- Put seam side down in a buttered 2-quart brioche pan. Form the reserved dough into a teardrop shape and poke it into the center of the dough ring. Cover and let it rise for 2 hours, until it reaches over the top of the pan.
- Beat the cream with the remaining egg and brush the top of the dough. Sprinkle it with sliced almonds. Bake the brioche in the lower part of a 325 ° oven for 50-55 minutes, until it is golden brown.
- Let the brioche stand for 10 minutes, turn it out of the pan, and cool slightly on a rack.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm with unsalted butter.
Make 6 servings of Almond Brioche.
Shipping Cost Est