Recipe: Authentic Gyros
Recipes using Tones Cumin, Ground
Price Each: $12.07USD
This is a recipe for authentic Gyros using a whole lamb roast. Gyros purchased at restaurants are usually made from a 50/50 mix of ground beef and lamb with a binding filler, and seasoning.
- 2-pound top round roast of lamb
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 black pepper
- 1 tsp oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Round Pitas Bread
- Gyro Yogurt Cucumber Sauce (below)
- 1 cup baby spinich leaves, or lettuce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine seasonings in a bowl, and mix well.
3. Evenly rub seasoning mixture on roast.
4. Place roast in oven, and bake until internal temperature reaches 175 degrees;
5. Meanwhile, make Gyro Yogurt Cucumber Sauce below.
6. Remove roast from oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
7. Slice meat thinly, and place in pita pockets, top with lettuce or spinch leaves, and Gyro Yogurt Cucumber Sauce.
Gyro Yogurt Cucumber Sauce
- 1 8oz plain yogurt
- 1 cucumber
- 2 green onions
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried mint
1. Peel and seed cucumber. Dice into 1/4" cubes.
2. Thinly slice green onion.
3. Combine green onion, cucumber, mint, and yogurt. Mix well.
4. Cover and refrigerate one hour to allow seasoning to blend.
5. Mix again just before serving to distribute flavors.