Recipe: Bobara Nuj (Sesame & Eggplant)
Recipes using Nina Chopped Garlic
Price Each: $6.49USD
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 cup Tahini (sesame paste)
- 1/2 cup or more fresh lemon juice
- 4 medium green onions, minced, with tops included
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 to 2 tsp chopped garlic or about 4 cloves garlic, minced.
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp Tamari soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp honey
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- With a sharp knife make several slits in the whole eggplant.
- Remove any green top leaves. Place eggplant in a large saucepan and cover with heavily salted water. Weight dow as needed to keep eggplant submerged.
- Soak eggplant for 20 minutes and then rinse under cold water.
- While soaking the eggplant, heat oven to 450° F.
- Transfer whole eggplant to a baking sheet and roast in oven, turning once in a while, until the eggplant is very soft, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from the oven and let cool until it can be handled easily.
- Then peel and seed the roasted eggplant.
- Put the pulp in a small bowl and mash with a fork, or put it in a blender and puree in bursts so that the eggplant retains some texture.
- Combine the Tahini and 1/4 cup lemon juice in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add from the remaining 1/4 cup of lemon juice as much as it will hold and still remain a thick paste.
- Add the green onions, chopped garlic, sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons olive oil, parsley, soy sauce, honey, cayenne pepper, and black pepper and mix well.
- Stir in the eggplant puree. Adjust your seasonings.
- Transfer mixture to a shallow dish or platter spreading it evenly to the edges.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 teaspoon (or more to taste) olive oil over it and sprinkle it with the chopped parsley.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Serve with hot pita bread, or with a good, crusty French or Italian bread.
Shipping Cost Est