Recipe: Baklava II
Recipes using McCormick Siagon Cinnamon
Price Each: $6.63USD
Ingredients in Baklava
- butter for greasing pan
- 6 cups walnuts, coarsely ground
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup ground zwieback
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 pound sweet butter
- 1 pound filo - about 40 sheets
Ingredients in Baklava Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
To make Baklava Recipe
- Butter a 10" x 15" pan.
- Mix nuts, sugar, zwieback and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt and clarify butter.
- Mix in canola oil.
- Cover bottom of pan with one layer of filo.
- Brush with butter.
- Add 5 layers of filo, brushing each with butter.
- Cover last sheet with walnuts.
- Continue layering with 1 sheet filo, brush with butter and adding walnuts.
- Use all but 6 sheets of filo.
- Alternate 6 sheets filo and butter for top layer.
- With a sharp knife, cut into strips 1-1/2 inch wide. Then do the same at an angle in the other direction to form diamond shaped pieces.
- Bake at 350° F for 30 minutes and then bake at 300° F for 45 minutes until top is brown.
To make Baklava Syrup:
- In saucepan. cook sugar, water, and lemon juice over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to high.
- Cook briskly 5 minutes after syrup boils.
- Remove from heat and add honey.
Final step in making Baklava
- When baklava has cooled down to room temperature, cut into pieces and pour cooled syrup over pieces.
Makes about 25 pieces of Baklava.
Shipping Cost Est