Price Each: $25.73USD
1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 1/2 cups unsifted Pillsbury Unbleached or King Arthur Unbleached Flour*
1 1/2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup molasses
1 cup hot water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and Flour 9& x 9 x 2 baking pan
1. Cream butter and sugar.
2. Add beaten eggs and mix well.
3. Measure and mix dry ingredients.
4. Combine molasses and hot water.
5. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture alternating with molasses mixture. (mix small amounts at a time)
6. Beat after each addition until smooth.
7. Bake for 45 mins.
Serving Suggestion: Server warm with whipped cream.
Serving: Approx 16
* Use unbleached flour for best flavor. Unbleached flour is bright white, it's just more time consuming to make. Flour will whiten naturally after milling. Since the natural whitening takes time (about 6 months), many producers speed up the process using chemicals. That process and chemical addition can alter the taste of foods made from bleached flour.