Feb 28  # 126 of 170
Quote The Ironic Chef wrote:
I love Calzones. As soon as I get around to making up some homemade Ricotta cheese I will make a few. I like ham, Ricotta and Provolone or Mozzarella Calzones the best.

That is exactly what I did this morning with the very last of the homemade ricotta. I made a Calzone. I can't wait to dig in.
Feb 28  # 127 of 170
I was a lazy master-chef today I ate a whole bag of white cheese popcorn in my car today for dinner. :p Cookie:)

mm. calzones Good stuff!!
Feb 28  # 128 of 170
I didnt get them in the oven til a few minutes ago. I put in some mozerella and parm cheese. They smell good but Im sure if Jon doesnt like them he will let me know lol.
Mar 1  # 129 of 170
There is another ethnic version of the Calzone called a Runza. I'm thinking, that they are a Russian, German and Polish inspiration. The Runzas that I grew up with were a bread dough filled with sour kraut, ham and potatoes. Some make them with ground beef and cabbage. They were a nice winter comfort food.
Mar 1  # 130 of 170
Quote The Ironic Chef wrote:
There is another ethnic version of the Calzone called a Runza. I'm thinking, that they are a Russian, German and Polish inspiration. The Runzas that I grew up with were a bread dough filled with sour kraut, ham and potatoes. Some make them with ground beef and cabbage. They were a nice winter comfort food.

Interesting. I believe every nationality has some sort of "Pocket" sandwich, in Michigan the Upper Peninsula folks eat something called a Pasty, a meat and veggie filled creation, it uses more of a pie dough than a yeast dough. They use beef, potatoes, turnips, carrots and seasoning wrapped in pastry and baked. As you mentioned IC they are sorta a winter comfort food. The wives used to make them for their husband lumber jacks who would keep the wrapped pasties in their pocket for lunch and it was a nice filling warm lunch in that horrid cold - there is also a Puerto Rican and Jamaican type meat filled pocket sandwich. And in Morocco they use Phyllo dough to make a similar type sandwich. I like all varieties, wether they have yeast dough or Pie type or Phyllo dough wrap.