This is the best recipe for Macaroni and Cheese we’ve ever made. It has the essential quality that we feel a good Mac and Cheese recipe has that the cheese mixture absolutely sticks to and surrounds the macaroni. Look at the picture above and you’ll see how the cheese has spread well. Try this recipe yourself and provide a comment on your thoughts please. We believe strongly that this is THE Macaroni and Cheese Recipe.
Bread Crumb Topping
- 12 ounces of dried elbow macaroni
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan Cheese
- Melt the butter in a small non-stick skillet.
- Add bread crumbs and Parmesan Cheese
- Mix well. Remove to a small bowl. Set aside.
The Splendid Cheese Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat Oven to 500° f.
- Bring 3 quarts of water to boil in a large pan. Add macaroni noodles. Stir.
- Make a Rue: Melt 2 tbsp butter in a 3 quart non-stick saucepan. Add flour and stir until bubbly and the flour begins to lightly brown.
- Add milk to the saucepan, while stirring thoroughly to blend the milk and flour (a whisk works well).
- Heat slowly, stirring often until milk is hot and just near boiling. Whisk together well.
- Stir in cheese and mix until melted through.
- Mix in the nutmeg and cayenne pepper. Set aside, the pasta should be done at this point.
- Drain pasta well. Pour the cheese mix over the macaroni noodles and carefully stir to blend well.
- Spoon the cheese/macaroni mixture into 4 x 4″ diameter ramkins or similar sized oven safe bowls about 2″ deep.
- Top each bowl with 1/4 of the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place in the oven and heat until the bowls are bubbly 5 to 7 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 4 to 5 minutes before serving.